What is my cost per ton? What is my cost per bag?
This is typically the first question asked when approached with the offering of another Abrasive option for Blast Operations.
TCR Blast Abrasives contends the more relevant question is: What is my cost per square foot?
The lowest cost per square foot Abrasives are really High-Performance Abrasives. HP Abrasives will cut faster than conventional Abrasives – while at the same time requiring less Abrasive per square foot.
If we only look at cost per ton or cost per bag, the following list highlights the difference between “low-cost” conventional Abrasives and our TCR Blast Abrasives High Performance (HP) Abrasives:
1. Silica Sand: Lowest cost per ton – good Production Rate –highest Consumption Rate – highest Dust Levels
2. Coal Slag: Low cost per ton – average to good Production Rate – very high Consumption Rate – elevated Dust Levels
3. Recycled Glass: Low to moderate cost per ton – low to moderate Production Rate – high Consumption Rate – elevated Dust Levels
4. HP Copper Slag: Low to moderate cost per ton – high Production Rate – Low Consumption Rate – Low Dust Levels
5. HP Garnet: High cost per ton – bit higher Production Rate – Low Consumption Rate – very low Dust Levels
6. HP Aluminum Oxide: Very high cost per ton – best Production Rate – Lowest Consumption Rate – extremely low Dust Levels
For new steel, High Performance Copper Slag routinely exhibits the lowest average cost per square foot compared to all of the above listed Abrasives – and does so with Low Dust Levels and greater visibility. This is true even though it is more expensive per ton than either silica sand or coal slag!
So, next time instead of inquiring about the cost per ton, ask about the Abrasive that will deliver the lowest cost per square foot. TCR Blast Abrasives will assist with lowering cost per square foot for any Blast Operation. To request a free consult contact us.